It was an interesting experience. On the one hand I had a lot of information from the sites which had some technical discussion about the device, and on the other, I felt completely lost whenever I tried to look up information in the libusb documentation. Either way, the whole thing seems to be easy once you know how. As always, going to primary sources like the USB specification was essential. I had put it off as long as I could but after an hour or so I just had to dig around to find the information I needed to make the thing work.
I put my notes online for others because I saw a large number of 'hey please post some code' on other sites where someone only posted binaries.