(I have the "T-Mobile VPN" service which provides a routeable IP instead of a natted one.)
Turns out, the phone works just fine on their older unlimited data plans, albeit at 2G speeds (GMRS). I'm happy with that because I just want the same level of surfing capability I had with my old Motorola Z8.
There was the problem of the setup. To get it to work, I did the following:
- Added the "T-Mobile VPN" APN to the list of apns (which you can do from the initial-setup screen)
- Booted the phone with my wife's Google enabled SIM card
- Logged in with my google account
- Switched on 2G only mode (I don't think that this is necessary)
- Rebooted with my sim card
- Deleted the US 3G APNs from the list
The catch is that without removing the 3G APNs it will still try to use those to connect to the internet. Not a good thing because that only leads you to a captive portal by T-Mobile offering to upgrade your service.
Now I get the data service I like (and pay for), on the device I want.
Now to see about this developer kit.